Monday 2 February 2009

Riding the wave. Or something like that.

Italiano segue

Wow, this has been a real 'wave-like' week, in the sense that it's had such peaks and troughs...last Sunday I was all hyper from the nice day with my family - and then promptly got ill, including a high temperature again. Clearly these US germs really are different from what my immune system is used to! So there was more of being shut indoors, and feeling miserable and lonely, and willing the time to pass. And not going to the gym or the pool after all. Luckily it was much less drastic then when I was ill before Christmas, and apart from a lingering cough, I was back at work after a couple of days.

Speaking of work, last week I also experienced my first 'snow day', or rather snow morning - basically it had snowed through the night and you get to come into work later than usual to allow for road cleaning, pavement deicing, etc - most pleasing! There is an automated number you call that tells you what the earliest you can come in is. I have vague memories of things working in a similar manner when we were in Germany with school, although maybe that was a radio announcement instead? Anyway, I heartily approve, even if it means more snow-shovelling for us.

I have been putting my newly-received TV to very good use: I have a spiffy DVD player (that plays European DVDs too) and it's sooo much nicer to watch things on a 32" screen while sprawled on the sofa! Also I have subscribed to Setanta US via broadband (ie to watch it on your laptop) so I can finally get a good fix of European sports - yesterday I was watching Newcastle play for no reason other than that I just could! And it means I can watch all the 6 Nations in the coming weeks, much to Nick's joy (especially since it means *he* gets to watch it while he's here, too). And because I'm a big geek, I've also acquired a cable to connect laptop & tv so I can actually watch this all on a bigger screen. Life is good. :-)

Even more excitingly, I've made concrete progress with the Girl Scout thing! Yesterday I met with a very nice woman who is a coordinator for the area, and she gave me forms to fill in and told me there is a Brownie troop very near my house where they could probably use me. Hurrah! I will also have to do some leadership training classes, but it's probably good for me, so I don't mind. I doubt I will ever be as capable with kids as Sandra is, but I can at least try...

Oh, and last night I sealed my yes-I'm-in-America-now by going to a Superbowl party! Though none of us were particularly interested in the football itself, which actually was on in a different room, and really it was just an excuse to get a few people together. It was at my colleague Sarah's house - she's actually becoming more and more of a friend, as I really like her and her office is just opposite mine so we run into each other quite a lot during the day (can you imagine what it would have been like if Laura and I had had that office setup?! It would have taken all her self-discipline to keep me away! :-) ). Anyway - it was nice to meet some new people, and everyone was very chilled and easy to talk to and on the same wavelength, and it was just a really pleasant evening.

I realise these posts are rather factual and diary-like, and not very introspective. I am, in fact, introspecting quite a lot in my spare time, as some of you on the receiving end of my tortuous emails know. I guess it's because I don't want to depress people more than necessary, and also, I find it helpful for myself to set out all the good things that have happened in a week, and remind myself that I am doing lots of things, and trying to keep busy, and it's not so bad really. It still doesn't feel like home - and I still miss everyone desperately - but I think I really need to stop living every week as a sort of countdown, and just deal with it!


Beh, questa e' stata una settimana piuttosto 'ondeggiante', nel senso che ha avuto grandi alti e bassi...domenica scorsa ero tutta ipereccitata dalla bella giornata trascorsa con la mia famiglia - e poi mi sono prontamente ammalata, di nuovo con la febbre alta. Si vede che questi germi americani sono davvero diversi da quello a cui e' abituato il mio sistema immunitario...Quindi sono seguiti altri giorni chiusa in casa, a sentirmi depressa e abbandonata, e cercando di far passare il tempo. E non andare ne' in palestra ne' in piscina. Per fortuna e' stato molto meno drammatico di quando mi sono ammalata prima di Natale, e a parte una tosse che persiste ancora, sono tornata a lavoro dopo un paio di giorni.

A proposito di lavoro, la settimana scorsa ho anche vissuto il mio primo 'snow day', o meglio 'snow morning' - in pratica poiche' aveva nevicato tutta la notte al mattino si arriva a lavoro piu tardi del solito per avere il tempo di sgomberare le strade, ridurre il ghiaccio, etc -molto bello! C'e' un messaggio preregistrato da telefonare che ti dice da che ora in poi si puo' arrivare. Ho dei vaghi ricordi di cose simili con la scuola in Germania, ma forse quello era un annuncio alla radio? Boh, comunque, ha la mia approvazione, anche se significa che dobbiamo spalare altra neve.

Sto facendo buon uso della mia nuova TV: ho un elegante lettore DVD (che legge anche i DVD europei) ed e' mooolto meglio guardare le cose su uno schermo 32" spaparanzata sul divano! Ho anche fatto l'abbonamento a un canale sportivo via internet (da guardare sul laptop) cosi' posso finalmente godermi una buona dose di sport europeo - ieri guardavo una partita del Newcastle giusto perche' potevo! E significa che posso seguire tutto il torneo delle 6 nazioni nelle prossime settimane, con grande gioia di Nick (soprattutto perche' cosi' lui non si perde le partite quando mi viene a trovare). E da grande donna tecnologica quale sono, ho anche acquistato un cavo per collegare computer & tv cosi posso guardare anche questo sul grande schermo. Life is good. :-)

Ancora piu eccitante, ho fatto progressi tangibili con la vicenda delle Girl Scout! Ieri mi sono vista con una signora molto simpatica che e' una delle coordinatrici locali, e mi ha dato dei moduli da riempire e mi ha detto che c'e' un gruppo molto vicino a casa mia dove probabilmente mi potrebbero mettere a buon uso. Evviva! Dovro' anche fare delle sessioni di training, ma probabilmente mi fara' bene, quindi non mi pesa molto.

Ah, e ieri sera ho definitivamente sigillato la mia presenza in America andando a un Superbowl party! In realta' nessuno dei presenti era particolarmente interessato al football in se, che anzi era in un'altra stanza, ed era piu che altro una scusa per riunire un po di persone. Era a casa della mia collega Sarah - diciamo pure che sta diventando sempre piu un'amica piuttosto che solo una collega, e' molto simpatica e il suo ufficio e' di fronte al mio quindi ci incrociamo spesso durante la giornata. E' stato carino conoscere un po di persone nuove, e tutti erano molto simpatici e facili da parlare e di mentalita' simile, ed e' stata una serata piacevole.

Mi rendo conto che questi post sono piuttosto diaristici e non molto introspettivi. In realta' io introspettisco fin troppo nel mio tempo libero...Credo che sia perche' non voglio deprimere la gente piu del necessario, e inoltre, trovo che mi aiuta mettere su carta tutte le cose positive che sono successe nell'arco della settimana, per ricordarmi che sto facendo un sacco di cose, e sto cercando di tenermi impegnata, e davvero la situazione non e' cosi' nera. Non mi sento ancora 'a casa' - e sento ancora tanto la mancanza di tutti - ma credo che debba smettere di vivere ogni settimana come se fosse solo un conto alla rovescia, e darmi una smossa!

2 comments:

Rob Jubb said...

You should send tortuous emails to Italians too you know. Expect Six Nations banter.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.