Friday 9 January 2009

The return of the emigrant, Part II: The Bad

Part I - Part III

So, I was saying in the previous post how pleased I was at having been upgraded. Unfortunately the exhilaration of said upgrade was slightly marred by my upsetting my neighbour's glass of water onto the table where he had his laptop...which subsequently refused to turn on. Eeeeek!! I was absolutely, totally, mortified by this - but he, being English, was extremely polite about it all and said it was a company laptop anyway. Still, I felt quite responsible (though something could be said about the wisdom of perching a full glass of water on the armrest of a plane seat next to a laptop...) and I left him my contact details should things get ugly. Nick noted that this could have been the beginning of a wonderful love story, especially if I lived in a bad chick-flick world, but I think we are safe from that :-)
In any case, I haven't heard from him or his employer yet, so maybe we are safe.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I was sad to leave home again as this place still feels so temporary and transient; but I think this is more a fault of mine than of the place, since I have made so little effort to create any sort of life for myself which does not revolve around sitting at home with my laptop. Things Will Be Different from now on, yes they will.

Really, other than this, and my usual stomach problems which interfered a bit with New Year's Eve dinner, I can't think of any other bad things to report. But stay tuned for Part III - now that was not fun at all.


Dunque, dicevo nel post precedente di com'ero contenta dell'upgrade ricevuto in aereo. Purtroppo la gioia di detto upgrade e' stata alquanto rovinata dal fatto che ho rovesciato il bicchiere d'acqua del mio vicino sul tavolino, sul quale c'era il suo laptop...che dopo questo incidente si e' rifiutato di accendersi. Argh!! Ero troppo, troppo mortificata - ma lui, essendo inglese, e' stato estremamente gentile e ha detto che tanto era un laptop dell'ufficio. Ma io comunque mi sono sentita molto responsabile (anche se si potrebbe dire qualcosa in merito alla saggezza di appoggiare un bicchiere pieno d'acqua sul bracciolo di un seggiolino dell'aereo accanto a un laptop...) e gli ho lasciato il mio recapito se le cose dovessero prendere una brutta piega. Nick ha osservato che questo sarebbe potuto essere l'inizio di una bellissima storia d'amore, soprattutto se io vivessi nel mondo dei pessimi film romantici, ma credo di non correre questo rischio :-)
Comunque, non ho ancora avuto notizie da lui o dal suo datore di lavoro, quindi forse sono salva.

Come detto nel post precedente, ero triste di lasciare di nuovo casa perche' questo posto mi sa ancora di temporaneo e transitorio; ma credo che questo sia piu' che altro colpa mia, perche' non mi sono tanto sforzata a crearmi una qualunque vita per me qui che non ruoti intorno allo stare a casa col computer. Ma quest'anno sara' diverso, sul serio.

Davvero, a parte questo, e i miei soliti problemi di stomaco che hanno interferito un po' con il cenone di Capodanno, non mi vengono in mente altre cose negative da riportare. Ma vedrete in Part III - un'esperienza che davvero non e' stata per niente divertente.

No comments: